Stained teeth aren’t the end of the world, but sometimes they feel like it. These days, more and more Australians are seeking out the perfect smile with in-office treatments or – more popularly – at-home teeth whitening kits.
If teeth whitening is something you’re considering, it’s important to be informed. Our team at White Glo not only offers useful dental tips. You can also find a range of quality dental products, each one designed for optimal six-point protection.
Is teeth whitening bad?
You’ll find a lot of information for both sides. But the truth is that when you use the right products the right way and get your dentist’s input, teeth whitening is a completely safe process. Common side effects can include sensitivity to gums and teeth, but these should clear up fairly quickly and diminish over time.
Are at-home treatments effective?
At-home teeth whitening is good for teeth that are yellowing, but it generally won’t affect brown or grey teeth. Much depends on what product you use and how you use it. This is why it’s important to choose high-quality, trustworthy teeth whitening products such as those at White Glo. Our teeth whitening products are designed for maximum impact and maximum safety, so you can rest easy knowing you’re using the best.
When picking out the right tooth whitening product, the best way to keep your teeth healthy and safe is to follow these rules:
- Talk to your dentist first. Get your dentist’s okay before whitening your teeth. They’ll check your gums and teeth to ensure you’ll be safe. They might even be able to give you some product recommendations.
- Look for the ADA approval. Look for big-name brands that have the ADA seal of approval to ensure you’re getting a safe product.
- Look for clearly labelled ingredients and concentrations. The active ingredient should be hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide, and it should be present at safe levels (under 6% for hydrogen, 18% for carbamide).
- Follow the directions. If you’ve found a great product, always follow the instructions for application to ensure you don’t inadvertently harm your teeth.
- Listen to your mouth. Don’t keep using a product if you experience prolonged sensitivity or burning.
…and what’s not
Here’s what not to do when using a tooth whitening product:
- Don’t use just any product – do your research first.
- Don’t apply more often or for longer than suggested. Over bleaching can be painful and dangerous.
- Don’t use expired whitening products.
- Don’t use whitening products if you’re a nursing or expecting mother or if you have extremely sensitive teeth.
- Don’t use ill-fitting mouth trays that can leave the whitening agent in contact with your gums.
- Don’t use online or DIY kits that aren’t dentist-approved.
White Glo: Better teeth whiteningTeeth whitening is a great tool, and it works best when used with good old brushing and flossing. Luckily, you can find everything you need for your oral health at White Glo. Whether you’re looking for whitening toothpaste, teeth whitening strips, or at-home teeth whitening tray systems, we’ve got what you need to transform your smile.