It’s not like choosing the right university or the right life partner, but choosing the right toothpaste is still pretty important.
With so many products available, it can be hard to choose. That’s why it’s so important to learn how to identify good toothpaste. Whether you’re looking for whitening toothpaste, toothpaste for sensitive teeth, or just something that’s eco-friendly, this guide will help you find the perfect product.
While personal preference holds a lot of sway over toothpaste choice, there are three important elements your toothpaste should have.
Fluoride is nature’s way of protecting and repairing your tooth enamel. It’s safe to use and will help prevent cavities, decay, and other damage to your teeth.
Your toothpaste should have the ADA seal to show that it’s been clinically proven to be safe and effective for your teeth.
Dentists recommend that you use toothpaste such as White Glo, which covers these six key daily requirements: enamel-safe whitening, cavity and decay protection, plaque and tartar removal, bacteria removal, gum disease prevention, and breath freshening.
Aside from the must-haves, everything else about your toothpaste choice is based on preference and individual needs. Be sure to consider:
- Whitening. The best whitening toothpastes are those that contain safe concentrations of abrasives – such as calcium carbonate – to help lift stains and polish teeth. You might want to avoid these whitening toothpastes if you have extremely sensitive teeth.
- Tartar Control. Plaque and tartar can cause painful dental issues such as gum disease. Fluoride is one way to fight plaque, though there are also options such as White Glo’s Turmeric Tartar Control toothpaste.
- Bad Breath. Good oral care can help eliminate bad breath, but specialised toothpastes can offer faster and more lasting results.
- Sensitivity. Those with extremely sensitive teeth can find a toothpaste that offers relief from pain caused by sweets or temperature. Your dentist may even be able to prescribe one for you.
- Eco-friendly. If you’re committed to using products that don’t harm the environment, you’re in luck. Vegan and sustainable toothpastes are becoming increasingly popular – we even have a vegan range here at White Glo.
What to avoid
Thanks to regulations and rising awareness about oral health, most toothpaste should be safe for you to use. However, there are a few things you should still try to avoid:
- Triclosan: This product effectively kills bacteria but may be too efficient at it. Studies are still being done. But in order to keep your mouth safe, you might want to opt for a different paste for now.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulphate: SLS isn’t harmful. But if you’re prone to canker sores or have a sensitive mouth, you may have a reaction to this ingredient.
Brush with confidence
When learning how to identify good toothpaste, our guide can take away the guesswork. Alternatively, you can save yourself the hassle and just shop with White Glo for affordable, effective, and dentist-approved toothpaste.
No matter what toothpaste you choose, keep on brushing and stay up to date with our dental tips for a healthier, happier smile.